Car Accident Lawyers Serving Santa Barbara
Getting into a car accident leaves most people feeling overwhelmed and anxious. Many describe feeling as their life flashing before their eyes. These emotions are justifiable. In the aftermath of a car accident, you may be suffering from serious injuries resulting in mounting medical bills and an inability to work.
This new reality may create a financial strain on your family, but it’s important to remember that you have options. Read on to learn more about how a Santa Barbara car accident attorney can help you seek the compensation you deserve from the responsible party, and don’t hesitate to contact Frederick Law Firm today if you have any questions.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Santa Barbara
Car accidents may occur for any number of reasons. However, some causes of car accidents are more common than others. Understanding the possible causes of car accidents may help you avoid getting into an accident.
- Distracted driving. When most of us think of a distracted driver, we think of someone checking their email or texting while driving. However, distracted driving can also mean someone fiddling with their radio, eating, or talking to other passengers while driving. Even a second with your attention off the road increases your risk of a catastrophic collision.
- Speeding. Speeding obviously increases the risk of being involved in an accident. Driving at speeds higher than those dictated by law reduces your ability to prevent a collision if road conditions suddenly change.
- Drunk driving. Anyone that drives while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a danger to themselves and others. When intoxicated, a driver’s senses and reaction times are significantly reduced, increasing the chances of causing or failing to avoid an accident.
- Reckless driving. You cannot control the conduct of others; however, if you witness a driver engaging in reckless driving, like weaving in and out of lanes and speeding, back off and give them space. You may also report the driver’s conduct to protect yourself and others.
- Inclement weather. Driving in rain, snow, or fog creates hazardous conditions that increase your risk of an accident. Icy or wet roadways create slick conditions that become especially dangerous if a driver fails to take the necessary precautions. If you learn the weather is forecasted to be particularly severe, you may postpone your plans to avoid driving.
- Unsafe lane changes. Those who engage in unsafe conduct like hazardous lane changes increase the risk of an accident. Always use a blinker when changing lanes to alert those around you of your plans.
- Night driving. Driving at night increases your risk of an accident. At night, it’s challenging to see what is ahead or beside you. Night driving also leads to drowsiness and reduced alertness. Avoid driving late at night to reduce your risk of an accident.
- Vehicle defects. There are some situations where a vehicle has design defects. Though no fault of your own, these design defects make some cars prone to accidents. If you suspect a design defect caused your accident, your attorney may research the make and model of your vehicle to determine whether any recalls were on record. There may also be evidence of negligence on the part of any mechanic that worked on the car.
- Failure to obey traffic signals. Running red lights or stop signs is another top cause of car accidents. Feeling rushed or frustrated with traffic may lead some drivers to make the poor decision to go through an intersection on a red light or stop sign. Pay attention to the drivers around you and protect yourself if you notice a reckless driver.
Understanding the most common causes of car accidents in Santa Barbara may help you avoid them in the future. After all, the best outcome in an accident is avoiding them in the first place. But in the unfortunate event that you are involved in a collision, a car accident attorney in Santa Barbara will work to determine the cause and hold negligent drivers responsible for their actions.
Common Injuries from Santa Barbara Car Accidents
Injuries from car accidents range from minor to severe, but all cause an interruption to your daily life. Even minor injuries may prevent you from working until you fully recover. The most common injuries resulting from car accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI),
- Spinal cord injuries,
- Back injuries,
- Internal injuries,
- Fractures and broken bones,
- Disfiguring facial injuries and scars,
- Limb loss and amputation,
- Lacerations and bruises,
- Soft tissue injuries, and
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
Your Santa Barbara car accident attorney understands that while they cannot undo what happened in your accident, they can fight for total and fair compensation for you and your loved ones.
How Can a Santa Barbara Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?
A Santa Barbara auto accident lawyer assists injured clients in recovering compensation from the liable party in the form of economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are the financial losses directly resulting from your injuries and include:
- Medical expenses,
- Lost wages,
- Loss of future wages, and
- Property damage.
Retain tangible evidence like receipts, pay stubs, invoices, and other documentation to support your claim for economic damages.
Non-economic damages are the psychological and emotional losses related to your accident and include:
- Emotional distress,
- Pain and suffering,
- Loss of enjoyment of life,
- Loss of consortium,
- Permanent disability, and
Non-economic damages are challenging to quantify due to their subjective nature. Your accident attorney in Santa Barbara CA will review your medical records and the impact your accident has on your life to calculate a monetary value for these losses.
The Frederick Law Firm has the solution you need when seeking a dedicated Santa Barbara car accident lawyer. Our strong and skilled attorneys ensure that you are never taken advantage of by insurance companies or the liable party in your case. We possess decades of trial experience and an understanding of court procedures to give our clients the upper hand in personal injury cases. The Frederick Law Firm brings clients the quality representation expected from a large firm but with the personal care and attention that only a smaller firm can provide. Contact us today for a free initial consultation to discuss your case anytime, day or night. We also assist Spanish-speaking clients. Se habla Espanol.